Home Discussion Forum Cover Crops Cover Crop Photo Contest July 2017

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andy Bensend Andy Bensend 2 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Erica Olson
    Erica Olson
    Keymaster

Welcome to The WaterWay Network Cover Crop Photo Contest! Reply to this post from July 25-27 with your photos and captions for a chance to win “Lunch and dessert for 4” courtesy of Culver’s. For a video on how to post a photo, click here.

Share your cover crop photos and stories, learn from others, and win! #WWNCoverCropContest

Profile photo of Heidi Johnson
    Heidi Johnson
    Participant

This photo is from plots that we had in Dane county last fall comparing cover crop planting methods for seed corn.  The cover crop mix was 1.25 bu of oats and 20lbs. of cereal rye.  The plot that I’m standing in was seeded with an airplane, 3 weeks prior to the seed corn getting picked.  This photo was taken in early November.  I am not a tall person so these oats are about 3 ft tall.
    We also planted this same mix with a drill and an air seeder.  The airplane plots by far had the most growth out of the three planting methods.  In the other plots, the cover crops got to about 12-16 inches prior to a killing frost.  In the airplane seeded plots, the oats choked out the cereal rye so we had much less rye in the airplane plots in the spring.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Josh Hiemstra
    Josh Hiemstra
    Participant

This photo is of Tillage Radish and Forage Peas planted on 15″ centers with a 12 row white air planter on Aug 3rd 2016.  The previous crop was winter wheat yielding 95 bu.  8500 gallons of dairy manure was broadcast applied prior to planting the cover.  The 2017 Corn crop looks Awesome!!

Profile photo of Josh Hiemstra
    Josh Hiemstra
    Participant

20161017_104521

Profile photo of Eric Bechel
    Eric Bechel
    Participant

IMG_0518IMG_0466Rye spread into standing soybeans before leaves had fallen off.

Profile photo of Eric Bechel
    Eric Bechel
    Participant

IMG_0518IMG_0466Rye spread into standing soybeans before leaves had fallen off.

Profile photo of Dave LaCrosse
    Dave LaCrosse
    Participant

KIMG0501KIMG0500                                                                                                                                                                                             These are pictures of multispecies mix I made consisting of crimson clover, radish, hairy vetch, sun hemp, winter peas, rye and wheat. We surface applied 7500 gallons of manure after planting. No till drilled after wheat last fall and no tilled corn this spring.

Profile photo of Daniel Smith
      Daniel Smith
      Participant

Dave,

Was the cover crop up when you applied the manure? If not how long after planting did you apply the manure? If it was up how big was the cover crop?

Thanks

Profile photo of Dave LaCrosse
    Dave LaCrosse
    Participant

KIMG0489

This is oats cover last fall after corn silage, we chiseled, broadcast bin run oats on top and incorporated 17,000 gallons of manure after.

Profile photo of Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant

This photo was taken in early May of 2017. The red clover was interseeded in June of 2016 into V5 corn. The corn was harvested in early September for silage.

IMG_0241

Profile photo of Dave Olson
    Dave Olson
    Participant

IMG_0777

This is fall seeded rye planted in late September. The picture was taken this spring right before slurry was applied and then terminated using chisel plow and disc. Corn is planted in this field now and is looking good.

Profile photo of Tammy Wiedenbeck
    Tammy Wiedenbeck
    Participant

Research is important for farmers because the information gathered from the studies is used to help them improve each and every day. My brother works at the Lancaster Ag Research Station where red clover, crimson clover, and annual rye grass was seeded in the alleys of this corn field. Cover crops are very important for the soil and although this is a simple view, it’s still a beautiful one.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Danielle Block
    Danielle Block
    Participant

No Till Drilled Corn Emerging Through Rye Cover Residue

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Andy Bensend
    Andy Bensend
    Participant

I’m a little late but……I wanted to share some pics anyway.     Culver’s gets a lot of my dining out dollars so they don’t need me to get free coupons to survive.

this photo is corn established in a terminated rye cover.     We love getting cereals planted after soybeans and corn silage by just broadcast spreading.   It’s inexpensive and fast, while giving us the lions share of benefits from a cover crop.

Profile photo of Andy Bensend
    Andy Bensend
    Participant

IMG_0587IMG_0591

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.