What is going to be the focus of the Dodge County Watershed Dale? I’m working with a group of farmers here in Trempealeau County and we are mostly N focused. Doing some cover crops, NCirca work, and using sensing for N application at sidedress.
Please check out the DATCP producer-led webpage for resources on how to get started! Program basics including eligible grant expenses, how to choose a group structure, frequently asked questions, examples of existing projects and available partnerships are all included on the webpage: https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/DATCPResources.aspx
Here are some helpful tips for success:
1. Identify your watershed’s specific resource concerns.
2. Identify potential changes or improvements you’d like to make in your watershed to address those resource concerns.
3. Organize a leadership structure within your producer-led group.
4. Develop a vision, goals and work/watershed plan for your project.
5. Execute your plan through education, outreach, and conservation practices.
6. Determine a process to track and reward progress, participation, and success.
Give the Dodge County Land Conservation Department a call: (920) 386-3660. They are a good source to help you get organized and provide you with assistance, both administrative and technical. Their staff has been around a long time and most likely has worked with farmers in your group. They can be a great resource for you.